Thursday, January 21, 2010

What a difference a day makes!

So, I created a snow dyed fabric that I LOVED, and I sold it! I thought that I could re-create something similar, since it was the same snow, same fabric and same dyes, but it didn't work out quite that way.

I think the results are different because the temperature of the snow to start with was different (warmer), and it wasn't cold enough out to freeze the fabric before I packed it in the snow. I didn't think that was a big factor, but now I'm not so sure.

Here are three pieces of fabric that I put under snow, on two of them I used the exact same violet and the exact same yellow as #41 (see previous post) and on the third I used chartreuse in place of the yellow. For the life of me, I can't be certain which one is which, and I find that extremely odd. Again, the serendipity of dyeing!

So here are the three pieces, these are full shots of each piece which measure ~39" x 44". The line across the center is the pressed in fold line from my mangle. They're absolutely gorgeous in their own right, but completely different than what I was trying to get! They actually are similar enough that you could use all three together if you needed more yardage for a project. Click on the pictures to get a closer look.

Did I mention that these are for sale? $30 each, should be on my website soon, but if you can't wait, just let me know.


*****************************SD#42


*****************************SD#43


*****************************SD#44****SOLD!!****
All of this just makes me want to make more!!

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful Beth, I love them all they turned out fantastic. I'll have to give your method of snow-dyeing a try...that is if we ever get some more snowfall. I was too busy to do some and then it went and melted. Pretty sad for January in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you wet and freeze your fabric in your deep freeze and then pack it in snow?
    Here in southern Canada we would need to do that as well.
    January Thaw it used to be called. But that was when we got cold in December and in February.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana, funny you should say that - I have 4 pieces of fabric in the freezer right now just waiting for a bit of fresh snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My snow dyes turned out nothing like these. Mine are not nearly as nice. I might try doing it outside, just burying the cloth in snow, then adding dye and leaving it for a day or two...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth these are fab!
    Are you doing any IA quilting with these?
    Great to watch what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They actually look quilt similar in color combination to #41 to me; I wonder it the difference is in how they were scrunched and the size of container used. I find in my dyeing that the scrunching and the container shape and size makes a big difference in the final outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm....I have done ice dyeing (letting the soda ash soaked fabric freeze & then applying dye & allowing it to thaw) but not this. We do have some snow left but it's really wet & heavy so I think I will wait until next week when it's supposed to get cold and snow again. Your results are delightful & very beautiful.

    teri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everybody! It's now 46ยบ here, so the snow is rapidly disappearing! I did get 4 more pieces under snow yesterday, but it was pretty wet heavy snow, so it'll be interesting to see what happens. I used pre-frozen fabric this time. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is great. I have to try this! All the fabrics you ended up with turned out gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the how-to!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth! These are exquisite! Yummy is the word I would use! Please toss my name in the hat! And thanks for entering my giveaway as well! Happy OWOHing!

    Cat
    Chatty Cat's #505
    chattycats@rochester.rr.com
    www.chattycats.artfire.com
    http://wwwchattycats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just gorgeous pieces Beth, so please do enter me. Thanks for stopping by!
    Micki
    #123

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh im so jealous..these are absolutely beautiful, i loved seeing your process too.

    wish we had snow in Australia!!jenxo

    ReplyDelete